The group-wide Brookhammer Cup tournament has returned! And this past weekend, we got the first round of games all wrapped up. Sunday saw the last two games, the first of which was the battle for all the Chaos glory between Bo’s Glooming Lords Death Guard and Jason’s Thousand Sons & Alpha Legion (who are disguised as Death Guard). Who will show Abaddon they are the strongest force? Read on to find out!
Each player has a maximum of 2,000pts.
They’ll use that list for the remainder of the tournament.
Matched Play Mission:
Scorched Earth (From Chapter Approved 2017 – replacing First Blood with First Strike)
Vanguard Strike was the layout on a 6×4 table. Jason won the roll off and picked his end of the board.
Thousand Sons Supreme Command Detachment
Ahriman on a Disc of Tzeentch, (2) Daemon Princes of Tzeentch, Sorcerer in Terminator Armour, a unit of five Scarab Occult Terminators
Alpha Legion Battalion Detachment
Chaos Lord, Dark Apostle w/ 2 Dark Disciples, (3) squads of 10 Chaos Cultists, Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought, a squad of Havocs with Missile Launchers, a squad of Havocs with Autocannons, Hellforged Scorpius
Chaos Fortification Network
Reinforcement Points – 85pts (to summon Daemons)
Bo’s Glooming Lords
Glooming Lords Battalion Detachment
Lord of Contagion, Malignant Plaguecaster, a unit of 5 Plague Marines, (2) units of eleven Poxwalkers, a unit of three Deathshroud Terminators, Tallyman, Foetid Bloat-Drone
Glooming Lords Spearhead Detachment
Chaos Lord, (3) Plagueburst Crawlers
Glooming Lords Vanguard Detachment
Typhus, (2) units of 5 Blightlord Terminators, Plague Surgeon
Turn 01 Highlights
- Bo won the roll-off to place the first objective. He also finished placing his models first earning him a +1 to his roll to see who goes first. He rolled a 6, but Jason spent his Painted Re-roll (house rule) to have him re-roll it. With that Jason stole the ability to go first!
- The Havocs wasted no time going after one of the Plagueburst Crawlers. The missile launchers made quick work of it, earning Jason a First Strike VP.
- The other two Plagueburster Crawlers were targeted by the Scorpius and the Contemptor Dread’s C-beams, taking 3 wounds off one and 2 on the other.
- The Crawlers retaliated, killing 3 cultists.
Turn 02 Highlights
- The Scarab Occult terminators deep struck behind the Foetid Drone, but failed to do any damage to the floating filth.
- The Cultists, screaming, charged the drone trying to show the Terminators they are truly devoted. They lost four members to overwatch, but made it in. Seeing their insanity and laughing, the Terminators rolled off and made it into close combat as well to make sure the job got done. They only did 2 wounds to the Drone, the cultists did nothing but die. The Champion was the only one left but failed morale and ran away, to let the Terminators fight this one.
- The rest of the Glooming Lord Terminators deep struck on Jason’s side of the board, hoping to get some kills and objectives.
- The Drone disengaged from combat with the Terminators, but the shooting round did nothing to them. The Poxwalkers ran in to bring the pain, but 3 ended up dying to the Scarab Occult
Turn 03 Highlights
- Jason ran the Tide of Traitors strategem to restore a squad of Cultists back to full strength, to come back and help hold an objective.
- The Alpha Legion Contemptor’s c-beams finally landed some hits, taking out a second Plagueburst Crawler.
- The remaining Sorcerer in Terminator armor dropped in to help support Ahriman in the backfield, smiting along with the other Thousand Sons sorcerers to eliminate the Deathshroud Terminators. Ahriman cast Doombolt onto the Blightlord Terminators, making sure they would not make it close enough to the Daemon Prince holding an objective.
- The remaining Crawler turned it’s attention to the Missile wielding Havocs, causing 4 to die and the remaining one ran away after a morale check.
- Time ran out and the game was called at the end of 3 rounds.
Misc Highlights & More Photos
- Turn one wasn’t as crucial for this game, but deployment was. Taking the first turn, Jason was able to take away a lot of the hiding spaces for the Plagueburst Crawlers.
- Jason forgot to use any of his reinforcement points.
- Bo forgot about his Tallyman’s ability to generate CP for the first half of the match, so did Jason and his Thousand Sons Relic that does the same.
- Jason took home the Most Killed badge, proving All is Dust!
- Jason also had the hottest dice this game.
- Points Lost (fully dead units)
- Bo – 509 pts
- Jason – 160 pts.
After three rounds of crazy shooting and fierce combat, the scores were:
Bo: 6VP, Linebreaker
Jason: 12 VP, First Strike
The Thousand Sons along with the Alpha Legion were setup from the start to take the fight to the Glooming Lords. The warp was strong with the pyskers as Tzeentch smiled on his sons. Can they muster enough power to defeat the incoming Tyranid force and stay in the winners bracket? Can the Sons of Mortarion rot the armor of the Tau to move up the losers bracket? Stay tuned…